HOW IT STARTED
Joshua Shea is a pornography addiction expert, certified betrayal trauma coach, therapeutic disclosure specialist and the author of four books about pornography addiction, including He’s a Porn Addict…Now What? An Expert and Former Addict Answer Your Questions (2022) focusing on the trauma partners feel when learning their loved one has an issue with pornography.
Since 2018, Joshua has given more interviews about pornography addiction and betrayal trauma than anybody in the world. To date, he has internationally appeared on nearly 400 podcasts, television and radio shows using his wealth of research and personal story to promote the ideas that porn addiction spans all demographics and those with a problem should seek help before it’s too late. He also speaks extensively about the issue of working through betrayal trauma, especially with the partners of addicts and those who are facing infidelity.
Prior to admitting his 24-year addiction to pornography (and 22-year addiction to alcohol) in 2014, Joshua was a prominent magazine publisher, award-winning journalist, film festival founder and politician in central Maine.
In 2017, Joshua launched RecoveringPornAddict.com which morphed into today’s PAddictRecovery.com He has also contributed articles about recovery to TheFix.com and Recovery Today magazine, is a TEDx Talk speaker and has developed and presents a porn addiction educational presentation series for colleges, churches, libraries and other groups. Sober since April 2014, Joshua still lives in Central Maine with his wife and two children. The current animal count is four dogs and seven cats, but it’s ever-changing.
Other books by Shea include: He’s a Porn Addict… Now What? (2019) Porn and the Pandemic: How Three Months in 2020 Changed Everything, released July 2020 and The Addiction Nobody Will Talk About: How I Let My Pornography Addiction Hurt People and Destroy Relationships (2018).
- Pornography Addict for 25 years; Alcohol Addict for 21 years
- In Recovery and Relapse-Free since March 2014
- Alcohol Rehabilitation at Spencer Recovery Center, Palm Springs, Calif., March-June 2014 (including internship and group facilitation)
- Sex/Porn Addiction Rehabilitation at Sante Center for Healing, Argyle, Texas, May-July 2015
- Author, The Addiction Nobody Will Talk About: How I Let My Pornography Addiction Hurt People and Destroy Relationships
- Co-Author, He’s a Porn Addict…Now What? An Expert and a Former Addict Answer Your Questions
- Contributor of Sex/Porn Addiction Recovery Articles for TheFix.com and Recovery Today magazine
- Public Speaker on the Subject of Pornography Addiction
- Certified Betrayal Trauma Coach – Certification through The PBT Institute, New York
- Presenter at 4th International Conference on Addiction Research and Therapy, October 2020
- TEDx Talk Speaker, December 2020, “The Twisted Tentacles of Porn Addiction”